The government of Canada provides a number of programs through which potential international students can apply for permanent immigration. Permanent residence can be obtained without any job offer from a Canadian employer. However, some of Canada’s immigration programs ask for a certain amount of skilled work experience. Immigration programs for international students are listed below:

Immigration Programs for International Students

There are many immigration programs available to international students. While each program has its own importance and operates differently. The programs listed below may provide international students with pathways to become Canada’s permanent resident:

1. Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program is the fastest way to obtain Canadian permanent residence. The applicant must prove that they have at least 12-months of continuous, full-time, skilled work experience in Canada.

2. Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW) program is a merit-based immigration program. It does not require a person to have Canadian work experience.

3. Provincial Nominee Programs

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) operates its own immigration programs. Every PNP works differently since they are designed to meet the needs of the particular province or territory.

4. Quebec Immigration Options

The province of Quebec has its own immigration program with requirements and procedures which is different from the whole country. The two main permanent residence programs designed for international students are Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) and Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW).

5. Post-Graduation Work Permits

A post-graduation work permit is not a direct permanent residence program. However, it allows most of the international students who have graduated from a DLI to remain in Canada after study and can work with any employer in Canada.

The majority of international student graduates in Canada are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit which allows them to work in Canada and gain work experience.