Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a fast-track option through which you can get your study
permit faster. The standard processing time under SDS is 20 days.
SDS PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
1. You can apply for Canada student direct stream if you are a legal resident in:
If you live in a country other than the ones specified above, you’ll have to apply through
the regular study permit application process.
2. You must have the following documents to include with your application:
- A copy of your acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- A copy of your medical exam confirmation document
- Secondary or post-secondary educational transcripts
- Proof that you have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate(GIC) of $10000
- Proof that you have paid the tuition fees of the first year of your study
- Proof that you graduated from a Canadian curriculum high school or a language test
form showing a score of at least 6 for English (International English Language
Testing System), or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens score of at least 7
for French (Test d’évaluation de français)
Your GIC is the major requirement. It is a type of investment and you’ll get your money back
once you start your studies in Canada. Applications that meet the regular study permit
criteria but not the Student Direct Stream criteria may be processed according to the
regular study permit criteria, but do not receive the faster processing that is available
under the Student Direct Stream.