Canada temporary work permits

You need a work permit to work legally in Canada if you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. The Canadian temporary work permit is for those foreign workers who plan on working in Canada for a finite period of time. You cannot use a work permit to immigrate to Canada. Obtaining a temporary work permit in Canada is a multi-step process that can take several weeks.

Process of obtaining a temporary work permit in Canada

Step 1

Canadian employers who wish to hire temporary foreign workers should obtain a neutral or positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and in order to work temporarily in Quebec the foreign worker will need to obtain a Certificat d'acceptation du Qu├ębec (CAQ).

Step 2

After the LMIA is granted, the employer must provide a copy of the LMIA approval letter along with a detailed job offer letter to the foreign worker.

Step 3

The foreign worker can submit an application for a temporary work permit with an LMIA approval letter and a job offer to Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The worker should submit the temporary work permit application at a Canadian visa office board if he needs a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to travel to Canada.

Step 4

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will issue the temporary work permit at the time the foreign worker arrives in Canada

Most Canadian work permits are employer-specific and are granted for a specific job in Canada for a period of time ranging from a few days to a few years. The worker should apply for a new permit if he wants to change his position or employer in Canada.